WORKSHOP FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF MARITAL COMPETENCIES IN WOMEN IN TREATMENT IN THE METHADONE MAINTENANCE PROGRAM
At the Caudal Therapeutic Center, since October 2011, treatment and socio-health care programs have been developed for drug addicts, mainly derived from the Addiction Treatment Unit of the Health Area VII of Asturias. The different programs developed in this center are part of the harm reduction programs of the CISPA Proyecto Hombre Foundation, which aim to improve the quality of life of people who come for treatment.
This work is developed in collaboration and coordination with the Municipal Plan of Drugs and Health Programs of the City of Mieres and with the Ministry of Health through the Drug Addiction Treatment Unit of said area. Among the benefits that the center offers, it is their interest to carry out actions designed from a gender perspective and with a focus on good treatment relationships.
With the Workshop of Maternal Competences, it is sought to focus even more directly on someone who, in many cases, despite being present is not always visible, when we talk about drug use: children and children, children of Consumers Boys and girls sometimes in situations of vulnerability, as well as deficits in their care, protection and care, which can hinder their development. Understanding our part that the protection of minors, the greater good of our society, is the work of all and all and not only the responsibility of their fathers and mothers.
From a clear social commitment, we seek to offer an intervention adjusted to the needs of the population with which we work. Having on this occasion as a priority objective the welfare and safety of minors, sons and daughters of women to treatment for drug addiction.
Likewise, we want to make visible, inequality, lack of support and greater difficulties, with which in most cases, women who have used drugs and who come for treatment, start with men with problems of consumption and They are also parents. It is very unusual to find a father in a situation of having to raise his son or daughter alone, finding, however, many women in a situation of monumentality, or assuming the responsibility of parenting, without the support of their partner.
Added to this disadvantage, the most severe moral judgment, against the parents, to which they are subjected as mothers consuming. Making it even more difficult to talk about their needs in an open manner, often with reluctance to the intervention of the professionals of the network, which may result in the withdrawal or withdrawal of their sons and daughters.
Women in general, are understood from a gender bias, with innate abilities and abilities, to fulfill the functions of a mother. Assuming that biological motherhood carries the same implicit. Being difficult for any woman to meet these expectations and at the same time being able to name deficiencies or needs to perform the task. Increasing the difficulty for women who use drugs, women who have felt and been judged for having transgressed the norm.
The protection of minors, the greatest good of our society, is the work of everyone and not just the responsibility of their parents.
- INTEREST OF THE WELFARE OF THOSE AND OF THE MINORS: It is sought to provide bases, for the conduct of sons and daughters, necessary for the development, that allows facing adequate growth.
- DAMAGE REDUCTION: Certain frequent aspects will be taken into account, related to the characteristics of the profile, such as difficulties in adherence. Carrying out motivational work, avoiding criminalization, moral judgment, and confrontation. Factors such as proximity, schedules will be taken into account, and the care of minors will be facilitated during individual and group work, given the little support they have on many occasions. The history of relationships in a family environment will be known (past or existing conflicts for the care of minors with figures from the family environment), social (possible supports), and institutional, given the frequent difficulties of approaching the network (rejection of treatments for previous experiences).
- MODEL OF PARENTAL COMPETENCIES: Parental understood as the activities developed by parents to care for and educate their sons and daughters while promoting their socialization. It has to do with the attitudes and the way of interacting in the parental / mother-child relationship and not with the family structure or composition.
Each person has a predisposition to be able to exercise as a father or mother, following some models or patterns that he has surely lived during his childhood and adolescence. These patterns should allow the family to exercise some functions in relation to the sons and daughters:
- Ensure their survival and healthy growth.
- Provide the emotional climate and emotional support necessary to develop psychologically in a healthy way.
- To provide them with the stimulation that gives them the ability to relate competently with their physical and social environment.
- To make decisions regarding the opening to other educational contexts that will share with the family the educational and socializing task of the school. Among all these contexts, the school stands out.
The parental skills are associated with social parenthood and can be developed by significant adults even when they are not parents.
- To improve maternal competences in women to treatment, as well as to favor the development and growth of their sons and daughters, and to improve the relationship and communication between mothers and sons and daughters.
- Prevent situations of social vulnerability.
- Favor a better concept of the woman towards herself.
- Participate in a space of good treatment and care.
- Improve support network for women and their family system, and provide resources to request future help if necessary.
The intervention will be centered on the well-being of sons and daughters, differentiating themselves from the treatment of addictions. It could be: Formative: information, counseling, prevention of problems, skills for the role of mother, and Therapeutics, when there are problems that make it difficult or impossible to develop a maternal role that guarantees the well-being of children. The interventions will focus on the direct teaching of social, cognitive and, above all, emotional competences.
After referral, individual interviews will be conducted and group dynamics will have participated. Interviews with other people from the family, social or network environment may be conducted: minor, significant figures, both to help understand or overcome past experiences, and to build supportive relationships for the future. Coordination with network resources if appropriate, with the agreement of the mother.
Educational recreational space that serves as support to minors, which favors the assistance to the activity of the mothers.
Final and continuous evaluation by the team.